Friday, June 18, 2010

Lessons

"I have searched frantically for contentment for so many years in so many ways, and all these acquisitions and accomplishments--they run you down in the end.  Life, if you keep chasing it so hard, will drive you to death.  Time--when pursued like a bandit--will behave like one; always remaining one county or one room ahead of you.  At some point you have to stop because it won't.  You have to admit that you can't catch it.  That you're not supposed to catch it.  At some point, you gotta let go and sit still and allow contentment to come to you."

Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love

Hello, Paul, I'm Paul, nice to meet you.  I've only been here a little over two weeks, but already this journey is way beyond what I imagined for myself.  Yes, I am doing a lot and working and having fun, but here in New York City, I have actually found some peace and quiet. I am learning the art of relaxation and doing nothing.  I am drinking coffee and reading while listening to old jazz on a turntable.  After a number of years, I am finally getting a real, lengthy chance to just be with myself and to be happy to just be alive.  Hell, I volunteered to clean the bathroom at work yesterday and didn't mind one bit!  Life is beautiful, and I am so grateful for all of my friends and family.  If everyone could feel what I'm feeling right now, I think we'd have world peace. And the Jackson Five's Can You Feel It would be blasting out of every speaker, naturally. Sending good vibes to all my Austin peeps, I miss you dearly.  Yes it's alright, take my message to your brother and tell him twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment